Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fir Scarf


One thought lead to another and the more I imagined a forest the more I knew that I just had to add the tall canopy of trees that form the walls and roof - the supporting structure of the scene. There are many different types of evergreen trees in the Canadian Boreal forests, so I classified them simply as Pine and Fir.


Fir scarf is based on the repetition of a basic fir tree motif in three sizes. Evergreen forests have trees at every stage of growth from seedlings to very mature trees. I tried to capture these growth stages and the density of the trees in the pattern repeats.


The picots on the cast on edges were a nod to the lacey shapes of the firs and their delicate needle clusters. Fir was knit in Fantastic Knitting Zephyr lace weight in Jade. It begins with five separate picots which are then joined to work the main part of the scarf. The scarf is actually worked in two sections and then joined with a three-needle bind-off or grafted.
I just loved knitting the fir motif. It was like walking in the woods - needle exercises!!

No comments:

Post a Comment